Minerals taskforce announced
Minister for Resources & Energy Anthony Roberts has announced a taskforce charged with developing a Minerals Industry Action Plan to deliver economic growth to NSW over the next decade.
Mr Roberts has likened the taskforce to a roadmap for the minerals sector growth, providing a balance between this area and protecting agricultural land and water resources.
“NSW is home to a vibrant minerals industry that provides 33,000 direct jobs and more than 130,000 support jobs.” Mr Roberts said.
In 2012/13, the sector produced in excess of $21 billion in minerals and $17 billion in exports, about a third of the State’s total exports. Overall the industry provides $1.3 billion each year in mining royalties.
The Minerals Industry Taskforce will be chaired by Rob Adamson, Managing Director, RFC Ambrian. The other taskforce members are:
• Bob Besley, Chairman, Silver City Minerals Limited
• Stephen Galilee, CEO, NSW Minerals Council
• Bernie Hogan, Regional Manager, Eastern States & Northern Territory, Association of Mining & Exploration Companies (AMEC)
• Katharine Hole, Executive Director, Strategic Policy and Coordination, Resources & Energy, NSW Trade & Investment
• Peter Jordan, District President, Northern Mining & NSW Energy District (CFMEU)
• Kristen Keegan, CEO, Hunter Business Chamber
• Stefanie Loader, General Manager, Northparkes Mines
• David Moult, Managing Director and CEO, Centennial Coal
• Professor Sue O’Reilly, Director, GEMOC, Macquarie University